Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday Morning Wake Up

Saturday morning was a rough one! I usually like to make sure I'm up around 7am so I can have a decent breakfast and have plenty of time to digest before going to class. Today I couldn't rouse myself until 8ish, and then I didn't want to eat a huge amount.

When I got to class, I was already starving! I'd had a fair amount of water, so luckily I wasn't dehydrated. But that first set of half moon was rough. My empty belly was screaming at me, and so was my lower back. Just tight all around! That meant I had to do a little more thinking today and pay closer attention to make sure I wasn't over stretching anything.

Despite being not very bendy today, I listened to Vicki and made some adjustments to certain postures that changed things a bit. It's funny, she probably says the same things every class, but every now and then I pay closer attention and learn something new!

First, it was in awkward. I have a hard time holding up my weak flabby arms through the breathing, half moon, awkward, and eagle. It's a lot of arm holding! Today I focused on keeping my arms engaged and reaching toward the front of the room. I thought that the more active I kept my arms, the more they would hurt. I was both right and wrong. Keeping them active in the posture helped me maintain my balance more and it actually wasn't as much of a chore to keep my arms lifted. A few hours later and trying to fold my sheets on laundry day is more of a challenge than its ever been!

Next, as my sweaty feet were slipping across the room in triangle, Vicki told me to really engage my thighs and they wouldn't slide so much. She was very right! I was trying to ground my feet, but it seemed the more I tried to hold my feet firm, the more they kept slipping. When I squeezed my thighs, my feet stayed put! I couldn't get as low as I have been in triangle as my hips and butt were super stiff.

My back slowly loosened up, but still wasn't quite there when I got to camel. I could get into the posture, but I couldn't maintain it. Vicki has often said in this posture to acknowledge whatever you have going on, good or bad, and let it go. I like camel a lot, it's often one of my better postures, so I usually have high expectations for it. But today it wasn't there, and I had to take my expectations and just let them go.

Yesterday's day off was good for me. Gave my muscles a chance to rest and rebuild. My butt and hamstrings have been really sore lately, but today they gave just a little bit more without causing too much hurt. Hopefully that progress will continue :)

I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy the sunshine today! It's beautiful out, and thanks to practicing this morning I'm nice and loose and have lots of energy for all the yard work that needs to get done! Given how hard it was to get myself out of bed this morning, I doubt I would be doing much of anything if I hadn't dragged myself into that hot room!

No comments:

Post a Comment