Sunday, April 17, 2011

Yin Yang with Hoa

I woke up to no power this morning, and was quite anxious to leave the house and get to the studio, although rolling over and going back to sleep seemed like a good idea too. The ying yang class is kind of perfect for a Sunday morning, and I now look forward to it each week. This is the last ying yang class of the challenge, but it definitely won't be my last one forever.

Today we had a guest yogini leading us, Hoa (pronounced Waa). I was a little nervous at first, but then I realized that each yin yang class is a little different anyway, so I probably would have had the same amount of nervousness if Kate had been teaching. I really liked Hoa, and she's going to be teaching a regular class this summer (sadly I think I will always have to be at work at the time of her class). We did a couple different Vinyasas in the yang part of class with chair pose and dolphin pose.

Dolphin pose I had never done before and it was a bit challenging. Definitely an ab workout moving in and out of it! Another pose I had never done before was a yin posture, dragon. Actually, I just took a little break and looked up some pictures, and I have definitely done some variations on dragon before in Kate's class. Here, check it out: http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.0_asanas_dragons.php

Dragon was the most challenging pose of the day for me. My hips really felt the stretch, and it was the only yin posture I wasn't sure if I could hold for the entire time. We did a lot of hip stretching and opening today, which I have decided I really love. Frog pose was another hip opening yin posture that felt really good. I may not like doing them at the time, but my hips appreciate being opened and stretched now and then.

I both love and hate doing yoga in the morning. I hate getting up and actually going to class, but I definitely leave class with more energy, feeling much less stiff than when I rolled out of bed.

Tomorrow is my last day of the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment